Magdalen College School, founded in 1480 by William of Waynflete, is one of the country’s leading independent day schools. It is situated in an enviable location at the heart of Oxford beside the River Cherwell.
MCS is seeking to appoint an Admissions Manager. The post holder will be a member of the team assisting the Registrar in the management of the process of admitting pupils to the School as per the team structure shown below; this process includes initial enquiry, application, testing, interviews, offer of a place and induction to the School. The School intends that every prospective parent and pupil should receive a bespoke, personal service that ensures that they feel well treated and have had a good experience whether or not they are eventually offered a place at MCS. It is the responsibility of the Registrar’s team to ensure that these intentions are fulfilled.
The role involves collaboration with many other staff, most notably teaching staff and those in the Bursary, Marketing and the School’s Waynflete Office (for alumni relations and development). The responsibilities may vary from time to time as the needs of the School determine. Any responsibility delegated to the Admissions Manager will be within his/her expected capability and as such may reasonably be required according to the normal practice of an independent school.
The post is offered as a full-time position at the School.
The duties of the role will include, but not be restricted to:
- Assistance with every aspect of the school’s admissions operation, from enquiry to liaison with prospective parents and students
- Admissions correspondence, including preparation of induction material for new students
- Management of key database information for each applicant (iSAMS training will be provided)
- Organising Open Day events
- Organising test and interview days in both the Senior and the Junior School
- Maintaining close links with feeder schools
- Supporting the Marketing team as and when reasonably required
The post holder will be expected to undertake any other duties or tasks as reasonably directed or requested by the Master. This job description may be subject to review in consultation with the post holder.
Candidates from a range of backgrounds are encouraged to apply for this role.
The successful candidate is likely to be able to demonstrate/have:
- Strong people skills (all ages)
- First rate communication and organisational skills
- Evidence of being a team-worker with a keen sense of responsibility
- Ability to write reports and present and analyse data and statistics
- A positive, cheerful attitude, and a willingness to become involved in the life of the School
- A flexible approach to work, given that some weekend and evening work will be required from time to time
- The initiative and the ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- At least three years’ work experience in a similar field
- Good standard of written and spoken English and numeracy
- Strong IT skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Good standard of written and spoken English and numeracy
Candidates should submit the Application Form for Support Staff which can be found on the Job Vacancy link of the website (www.mcsoxford.org). To access Click here. To apply for the position please send the following three documents to the HR Officer, Mrs Gail Workman, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Covering Letter of Application
- Support Staff Application Form
All documentation should be sent no later than Wednesday, 3rd August 2022 at noon; early applications are highly encouraged. The school’s preferred method of communication is by email and it will not be necessary to send a hard copy of the documents by post.
References may be taken up in advance. If you do not wish references to be called for at this stage, please make that clear on the reference section of the application form.
We anticipate holding 1st round interviews on Monday, 8th August and 2nd round on Wednesday 10th and Thursday 11th August, and we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates by telephone. We might contact candidates for the telephone interview prior to the closing date of the job ad.
Magdalen College School is committed to the safeguarding of pupils, and any offer of employment will be subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure, the receipt of satisfactory references, the school’s pre-employment medical questionnaire, plus sight of relevant original ID documentation and degree certificate(s).
Remuneration and Benefits
This is an all-year-round permanent contract with 38.75 basic working hours per week: 08:15-17:00, Mon-Fri with one hour (unpaid) for lunch. The salary is c.£34,000 per annum.
Non-teaching staff are automatically enrolled in the school’s contributory Group Pension Scheme. This is a defined contribution pension scheme into which the employee contributes 5% of gross salary and the employer contributes 10%.
Free Private Health Insurance for all staff on permanent contracts and a single membership is treated as a benefit in kind. Concessionary rates are available for partners and dependents.
There is a wide range of benefits on offer to staff, including a free lunch during term time, free private health insurance and complimentary use of school sports facilities. Head to mcsoxford.org/vacancies to find out more.
School fee remission for the children of permanent staff who pass the entrance tests for the school is currently 50%. Headington Girls’ School currently allows permanent staff daughters who pass the entrance tests for the school a 20% remission. (Headington fee remission is only available to staff with an FTE of 50% or over).
Please note that MCS is an inner-city school, with very limited parking. Staff are encouraged to use public transport wherever possible for their journey to work. We offer Cycle to work scheme.
If you have any questions or require additional information, please contact the HR office: 01865 253401.