We are looking for a creative Communications Officer (Internal) with exceptional written skills to be responsible for the delivery of engaging and accurate communications to internal staff, pupils and parents.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a pivotal role within a busy and dynamic team. The nature of the position requires a creative thinker who can still deliver accurate communications even when working under pressure to tight deadlines.
This is a term time position.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the internal staff, pupil and parent e-bulletins – liaising with College staff and pupils on content – writing, compiling, proofing and ensuring timely distribution
- Support the communications team in the creation of publications to communicate with different groups within the Eton College community as well as producing compelling written and visual content
- Use design skills to ensure all communications materials are consistent, have impact and are appropriate to the audience
- Update content and ensure consistency of the organisation’s intranets (Parent Portal and Firefly)
- Monitor and respond to internal stakeholder feedback to improve internal communication and engagement
- Support the Digital Content Creator in producing digital internal communications
Website, Newswriting and Photography
- Where necessary support the communications team in updating content on the external website, gathering and developing content from relevant stakeholders and sources
- Where necessary support the Master i/c of the Press Office in the publishing of news stories for the website including creating photo galleries
- Where necessary write engaging news articles for the website
Photography and Video
- Where necessary support the College photographer and Filmmaker-in-residence in the production of imagery for the College
- When necessary support the communications team in the management of the College’s photo and video libraries ensuring all content is uploaded, tagged and in accordance with the College’s Photography Policy.
- Where required, undertake regulated activity, such as unsupervised contact with children, ensuring that safeguarding procedures are followed and providing safe and effective care at all times.
- Good understanding and effective implementation of Child Protection procedures
- Commitment and promotion of equality, diversity & inclusion
- Commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, including by not limited to, completing safeguarding training as required, and ensuring any safeguarding updates issued by the College are read and understood.
- Understand and comply with procedures and legislation relating to confidentiality.
Skills and Competencies Required
To be successful in this role, the incumbent should have:
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to adapt style to convey relevant messages accurately and effectively
- The proven ability to produce accurate documentation and communications, with the ability to proof-read and check others’ work.
- Excellent organisational skills, with ability to manage a busy workload and meet deadlines
- Excellent IT skills and a willingness/aptitude to develop these; in particular, knowledge of MS Office is required, and existing knowledge of Adobe creative packages: InDesign & Photoshop desirable
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- A creative flair for design, with exceptional attention to detail
- Personal warmth to engage positively and gain the confidence and trust of staff and pupils
- Reliability and flexibility with a ‘can-do’ approach to all duties and responsibilities
- Diplomacy and discretion with a professional approach at all times
- A positive and proactive attitude – the ability to identify interesting stories and follow them up
Eton College offers a wide range of benefits, including; an 11% employer contribution to your pension (with 4.9% employee contribution), Employee Assistance Programme, enhanced Maternity / Paternity scheme, free eyecare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, subsidised lunches during term time, free access to the College’s sport and leisure facilities and discounts at local retailers and businesses.
About the College
We are an equal opportunities employer and are seeking applications from suitable candidates from all backgrounds. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining an environment that values individuality and difference and celebrates the diversity of both staff and pupils by fostering perseverance, tolerance and integrity. We believe in equal opportunity for everyone, irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or socio-economic background.
Eton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students and staff and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This role is classed as ‘regulated activity’, whereby the post holder may be required to have contact or be involved in unsupervised activities with children. It is a criminal offence for any person who is barred from working with children to attempt to apply for a position at the College. The suitability of all prospective employees will be assessed during the recruitment process in line with this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to a number of recruitment checks, including by not limited to; verification of identity and right to work in the UK, an Enhanced DBS check, pre-employment health check questionnaire, satisfactory references, verification of professional qualifications which the College deems a requirement for the post, or which were otherwise cited in support of your application and probationary period.