Head of Marketing and Communications
The Head of Marketing and Communications is responsible for the effective leadership and management of all aspects of the College’s marketing and communication, both strategically and operationally.
Reporting directly to the new Warden (Headteacher), this is a crucial role in the ambitious strategic development of Glenalmond College over the next few years. The position offers an excellent opportunity for a highly-skilled and motivated individual to contribute to the day-to-day running of a busy, vibrant boarding school. The role may well involve line management.
While marketing and communication experience is desirable, it is not essential; more important are an optimistic, energetic and positive attitude, bags of initiative, creativity and an ability to work well under pressure. A large part of the role involves building and maintaining warm relationships with a variety of stakeholders, be they feeder schools, pupils, parents, staff or the local community, in order to encourage engagement and mutual support.
The purpose of the role is to communicate, celebrate and promote in an authentic and effective manner everything about the College: what it stands for, what it believes in, its educational philosophy and what the pupils are up to.
The successful candidate will lead all aspects of the marketing and communication strategy. The post-holder will work alongside, and closely, with the Admissions and Development teams.
● Creation, implementation, review and adaptation of the marketing & communication strategy in support of the College’s strategic aims.
● Enhancing the reputation of Glenalmond College as a ‘must-consider’, leading boarding school on the Scottish, British and global levels.
● Monthly analysis of marketing performance with metrics and the support of
delivery of management reports with key marketing data and statistics.
● Collaborating with the Director of Admissions, to ensure that the marketing and
admissions strategies are fully aligned.
● Collaboration with the Director of Development and OG Club to develop and
strengthen relationships with OG Network.
● Developing and managing a daily programme of communications across digital, social and traditional media channels, with monthly analysis and reporting.
● Responding to press enquiries and other external individuals and organisations with sensitivity and suitable judgement.
● Support the Warden with outward communication, acting as a key ghost-writer for social media, newsletters, press releases and brochures.
● Undertake market and competitor research, audit, benchmarking and analysis.
● Identify effective means to grow and organise target audience marketing lists to
use for outbound communications and productive sales pitches (capturing email
addresses on the website, Open Days etc.).
● Ensuring that the image library is regularly updated and has a fresh stock of images, photos and videos.
3. Brand Guardian
● Building, maintaining and driving the College’s brand in terms of image and
narrative and overseeing agency and other third-party service providers to ensure
effective delivery and value for money.
● To design brand guidelines for use in all external communications.
● Ensuring that brand consistency is maintained throughout all marketing activity in ethos, style and content and that the school community adheres to the Glenalmond College Brand Guidelines at all times.
● Overseeing the production of all branded materials, including but not limited to
prospectuses, open day literature, welcome packs, event brochures, academic
publications and newsletters, working with colleagues to ensure consistency and
● Support departments with the design and printing of in-house marketing collateral, such as drama events (booklets. videography), Programmes and initiatives (peer support advertising etc.), business cards and lanyards.
4. Website, Social Media & Customer Relationship Management
● Act as liaison between the College and the agency responsible for the website. Deliver proactive and effective social and digital content strategy.
5. Print, Press and Digital News
● Writing effective and engaging press releases and liaising with local and national media to increase awareness of Glenalmond College and promote its values and recruitment aims.
● Manage the College’s print and online advertising campaigns, and overseeing the schedule to ensure assets are supplied on time.
● Manage the provision of regular parent, agent and prospective digital newsletters to meet our recruitment and retention aims.
● Drive the improvement of the Glenalmond College parent digital user experience, i.e. parent portal, intranet, and calendar.
● Sharing of articles online.
● Production of the school’s print and online materials, including the Chronicle.
● Assist with organisation and promotion of key marketing events (on-site and virtual), such as Open Days, Taster Days, Commemoration Days, Results Days, College productions and concerts.
● Developing events and engagement programmes with the local community, feeder schools and other partners, in order to promote the College.
7. Photography & Videography
● Oversee the production of relevant photography and video to provide content for website, social channels and marketing campaigns.
● Plan, edit and create high-quality professional, creative, and effective photography and video content in order to showcase modern, cutting edge marketing standards via the website, social channels and marketing campaigns.
● Establish effective means and relationships with frontline staff/pupils to organise high quality photo/video content. This is in order to share the Glenalmond stories which focus on all areas of the business, not just the most visual or active.
● Ensure pupil permissions are adhered to in accordance with the data protection rules.
8. Advertisement, Sponsorship and Strategic Partnership
● Overseeing relevant sponsorships to ensure they deliver value and drive brand
● Nurturing strategic partnerships which amplify brand awareness with target
A competitive salary, a good working environment as part of a close-knit team, and the possibility of opportunities for the role to grow and develop.
Fee concessions are available for staff children who attend Glenalmond and there are various reciprocal arrangements with local prep schools.
Applications for the post
Glenalmond is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children:
Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers/Disclosure Scotland at enhanced level. Appointments will be conditional on references acceptable to the College and sight of original qualification certificates.
All applications must be made on the College Application Form. Please also include a covering letter outlining your suitability for this position.
Detailed information about Glenalmond, together with a copy of this job description and a non-
teaching application form, can be found at:
Glenalmond College, Perth PH1 3RY T: 01738 842000 www.glenalmondcollege.co.uk
Registered Scottish Charity: SC006123